Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Paperless

The other day I was visiting my parents. I had a few things run across my mind that I wanted to write down, but I discovered I had forgotten my red book. After the screams died down I looked for a scrap of paper to hold me over, only to discover that there was none. No paper in the entire house. Not a post-it. Not even my collage student brother had a notebook to tear a page from.
"I have a lap top." He shrugged.
I shouldn't be upset. I'm sure there are many households that now live paperless. Soon it will be a rare sight to spot a spiral bound or find a sticky-note to scribble on. It's a good thing, right? It saves trees.
So why do I find myself wondering around holding out an open notebook ready to catch any words that might fall out of virtual reality? Why am I staring at the end of my pen, watching the unused ink evaporate?

3 comments:

  1. You should have come to our house. Apparently we have a 'notebook' problem because we have A LOT of notebooks that are half filled. There is something to knowing you can access your thoughts even if your child is using the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would die without paper. You know that time when you were in the car and you needed to write something down but all you had were napkins that tear when you write on them? Yeah about seven of my nine lives expired because of that.

    ReplyDelete